Under the direction of the Director of Innovation and Collaboration, Volunteer Specialist is responsible for organization-wide recruitment and retention of volunteers who help make our services possible. Manage matching process of volunteer needs to volunteers. Speak effectively before groups and with individuals. Bring FSR to prominence as “volunteer location of choice”.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Attract and retain ample volunteers to meet existing and future needs for volunteers within FSR. “Close the sale” for volunteer recruitment and move them to actively volunteering with FSR.
2. Manage matching process of volunteers to service needs.
3. Grow partnerships across service area as means of supporting volunteer needs.
4. Organize and update volunteer data bases.
5. Manage a multi-project workload in multiple locations exercising initiative and meeting deadlines.
6. Update and create marketing materials, generate marketing/PR opportunities and participate in volunteer recruitment activities/events.
7. Work with directors, supervisors and programs to achieve goals associated with volunteers.
Other duties and responsibilities
1. Attend staff, supervisory, and other meetings as directed.
2. Work a schedule that is responsive to volunteer and program needs which may include evenings and weekends. Willingness and ability to work additional time if needed to meet critical deadlines.
3. Attend training seminars or conferences as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
4. Complete all other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years relevant experience OR 8 years’ relevant experience as set forth in the essential functions of the position preferred. Valid driver license, reliable transportation and insurance. Work flexible schedule that includes early mornings, evenings, and occasional weekends. Experience with and understanding of volunteer management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individual must be self-motivated, able to work independently, detail-oriented and concurrently manage multiple tasks. Computer skills that include the ability to work effectively with social media, databases and Microsoft Office products are required. Must demonstrate professional writing and speaking skills and be driven to produce results. The ability to perform a variety of tasks related to collecting, organizing, and interpreting statistical information. Must be a team player with positive communications skills.
Willingness and ability to work additional time if needed to meet crises and deadlines.
Must be able to regularly talk, hear, sit, stand and perform keystrokes to enter data entry with reasonable speed to ensure work is completed. Requires physical ability to routinely handle normal office materials and tools including frequently filing, lifting and reaching; ability to move throughout office areas to complete work assignments. Must be able to drive regularly and meet people/groups throughout community.
Regular exposure to normal office environments. Regular exposure to seasonal weather changes and driving/road conditions.