Career Specialist position delivers comprehensive job placement and development services designed to optimize employment outcomes for individuals served. The primary goal is to assist fathers in achieving economic stability, resulting in improved child and family safety and well-being.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
1. Job Placement and Career Services: Deliver all aspects of job placement and job development services resulting in optimal employment outcomes for individuals served.
Assessment of strengths, interests and barriers; develop individualized career plans; teach job seeking skills; provide individualized support during job search.
Develop and maintain new and existing employer relationships by understanding hiring needs and trends on a regular basis to meet job seeker, department and organization goals.
Engage in business development activities on a regular basis including active participation in internal and external job placement professional groups, networking, events and advisory groups as assigned.
2. Retention and Support Services: Provide preparation assistance and feedback to individuals upon new job placement to create a supportive and successful foundation for the initial phases of employment; facilitate follow up and retention activities; coordinate communication with employers as needed to ensure appropriate job supports, accommodations and employment progress occurs.
3. Co-facilitate parent education/support groups.
4. Coordinate and attend father/child community activities.
5. Collaborate with other involved partners and agencies to ensure comprehensive and seamless service delivery.
6. Maintain complete, accurate and timely documentation and reporting.
Other duties and responsibilities:
1. Attend trainings and other meetings as directed.
2. Work a schedule that is responsive to client availability, which includes evening and weekend hours as needed.
3. Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
No direct supervisory responsibility
Training and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus 1-3 years of relevant work experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Possess the ability to work effectively with diverse populations; to work within a team environment; effectively communicate with colleagues, co-workers and clients. Must possess computer literacy.
Must have a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation to use for work purposes. Willingness and ability to work additional time if needed to meet crises and deadlines.
Must be able to regularly talk, hear, sit, and perform keystrokes to enter data entry with reasonable speed to ensure work is completed. Requires physical ability to routinely handle normal office materials and tools including frequently filing, lifting and reaching; ability to move throughout office areas and clients’ private homes to complete work assignments.
Regular exposure to normal office and private home environments. Occasional exposure to home environments that include smoking and pets. Ability to drive in inclement weather.